Preplanning your funeral makes sense and protects your loved ones. The following checklist provides a list of the main things you should consider when pre-planning. Print it out and use it as a guide to help you document your wishes for your funeral.
Some people will choose to include information relating to their funeral service in a will but you can choose to prepare a written declaration yourself even though it is not considered a legal document. If you choose to do so, ask to have a family member or representative of your choice (doctor, JP, clergy) witness the document. Your next of kin or executor will decide what takes place but a written record means that your wishes are more likely to be fulfilled.
- printed name
- contact numbers
- witness name
- witness signature
- wording thats states you have made the decisions in sound mind and wish for them to be followed wherever possible
- Will - prepare a written will and record where it can be found
- Next of kin - contact details of the person you would like notified on your death
- Your body. Do you want to donate your body organs? If so, which organs?
- Do you want your body embalmed?
- How would you like for the funeral to be paid?
- Do you have a pre-paid fund? If so, list the details?
- Are you entitled to a funeral benefit from a club, association or government source?
- Who would you like to be responsible for arranging the funeral?
- Which funeral director would you like to be used?
- Would you like announcements to be made in any special newspapers?
- Obituary information you would like included
- Coffin, casket and urn selection
- Where would you like the funeral to take place? You can choose to have a service in one location followed by a committal at the crematorium or graveside.
- Do you want a private family service or a public service?
- Do you want a religious service?
- Who would you like to lead the service?
- Who would you like to take part in the service?
- What would you like to happen in the service?
- What music would you like played?
- Do you have any readings/poems or bible passages you want read?
- Do you want pallbearers? Who would you like as a pallbearer?
- Do you want other family members to be involved? If so, what do you want them to do?
- Clothing and jewelry selection
- Do you have specific personal items or mementos you want to be buried with or have displayed at your service?
- Where would you like a wake held?
- Who would you like to arrange the wake? Are there any special instructions for the wake?
- Who do you want to attend the wake?
- Do you want flowers?
- Would you like donations made on your behalf? If so, what charities or causes would you like donations to be given?
Burial, Cremation and last place of rest
- Do you want to be buried or cremated?
- Have you pre-purchased or reserved a burial plot or niche?
- Where would you like to be buried or your remains scattered?
- Do you want a lasting memorial? Plaque, gravestone or living memorial such as a tree or shrub?
Funeral-Services gives you peace of mind
- Independent advice and information with your interest at heart
- Network of pre-selected providers ensuring high standards of care and professionalism
- Fast, simple registration process with local funeral providers contacting you.
- Products and services matched to your specific needs
- Checklists and FAQ's to help you make informed personal and financial decisions
Get FREE, no obligation estimates today.
Compare services quickly and easily.